In-line inspection tool EasyPig™ UT
with «rotating beam»
The Ultrasonic Principle used in EasyPig UT is based on the original UT system developed in 1979. The system contains a horizontally placed transducer within the center body of the pig. The transducer sends it’s sound wave forward where it hits a 45° rotating mirror which then directs the sound wave perpendicular on to the pipe wall. From the inner pipe wall the next signal will travel to the outer pipe wall. Every time the signal hits a surface it will bounce back the same way it was sent allowing the computer to calculate the time of travel. This time of travel is then converted to distance which results in a measurement figure.
Advantages of EasyPig UT
1. Simple. Non-expensive. Possibility to run while performing pipeline cleaning.
2. Measurement of protective coating thickness allowing to forecast corrosion damage
3. Detection of laminations in pipeline wall
4. Detection of pipe wall metal thickness and internal pipe profile allowing to estimate the time of pipelines safe operation.
5. Inspection of non-ferromagnetic pipes including the ones made of polyethylene and stainless steel
6. Detection of severe defects and pipeline features, including illegal tapping
7. Detection of pipeline inner radius
|Calibration||Pipe without defects |
|Pipe with artificial defects ||Pipe with defects|
1. By application: Pipelines for transporting liquids – oil, water, oil products, including petrol, diesel, etc.
2. By material used: Ferrous and stainless steel, polyethylene.
3. With and without internal protective coating.
4. Nominal diameter – from 114 up to
(4” – 8”)
5. Maximum length of inspected pipeline – 10 km
6. Nominal wall thickness – from 4 up to 20 mm
7. Maximum protective coating thickness – 1 mm.
EasyPig UT Specifications
1. Types of detected defects and pipeline features:
Pipe wall corrosion defects
Tappings, including illegal ones
Pipe wall laminations
Internal protective coating integrity damages
2. Resolution – not exceeding 5 mm
3. Absolute detection tolerance:
Pipeline wall thickness – not exceeding 0,2 mm
Protective coating thickness – not exceeding 0,1 mm
Internal radius – not exceeding 0,1 mm
1. Nominal inspection velocity:
with 100% scanning – 0,1 m/s
with 50% scanning – 0,2 m/s
2. Maximum length of inspected pipeline – 10 km
3. Operating pressure – from 10 up to 100 Atm
4. Maximum operation specifications:
Pressure - 100 Аtm,
Temperature - + 80 degrees Centigrade
5. Minimum bend radius of factory bend at 90 degrees – 1,5D
depending on the diameter.
6. Maximum allowable all side pipeline diameter reduction having length not less than 2Dn – 15%